Saturday, May 23, 2009

Quiet Saturday. Yeah. That's it. Quiet.

Christopher and I planned this to be a nice quiet day, since tomorrow we're heading for Los Angeles for a week. The general plan was to hang out at home, get caught up on laundry and a few other tasks to put the house in order, then spend the evening packing so that we can head for the airport early tomorrow morning. 

Of course, we all know how quiet Saturdays go. 

I found myself at Target, Home Depot and Menard's, and the new Sonic drive-in, all before noon. I had high hopes for a quick trip around the errands, after having a speedy visit to Target. But I had obviously not been paying attention to the fact that this was the first day of the three-day Memorial Day weekend. Sonic is so new in the location I went to, that I heard the guy on the speaker in the drive-through say that it was his first day. The speed of the service made this all blatantly obvious. 

In the home improvement stores, "service" was pretty much unheard of. At Home Depot, three different people told me that the shelves I wanted could be found in the aisle I had already been through. Even on the third check, they still weren't there. At Menard's the service wasn't awful, but that may simply be because I knew where to find what I was looking for and didn't need help.  In all, it took me an hour and a half for what I thought would be about half an hour's worth of errand-running.

Home again, I found Christopher beginning to pack, and so I did the same. Then, mid-afternoon, we were back to trying to get everything in order so that we can run away for a week and his sister (who is house-sitting) won't have to deal with anything. As I write this, it is about 8pm, and we're finally getting to sit down and relax. I guess I should be happy that it's only 8.


1 comment:

Laura said...

This sounds like our weekend, only it was all backyard type tasks. I don't know why but I never have so much to do on the weekend as when I think I have not much to do.