Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Bunny Battle

First things, first. I really like bunnies. I think they're cute. I like seeing them run through the yard and bounce around. I like squirrels for the same reason. They're fun to watch running around and being.... well... squirrely.

On the other hand, when the cute and cuddly bunnies started to build a nest in our backyard last week, well, that wasn't quite as much fun. I'd been trying to ignore the fact that they had nipped the tops off of some of the few tulips which we had blooming this year. I had ignored them when they dug in around the peonies and clematis. But the whole idea of them burrowing in between the day lilies and the garage and making a home for themselves was a little too much to handle. 

So, last weekend when I noticed that no matter how many times we chased the same two rabbits out of the yard, they kept coming back to the same place, I was afraid that we were already too late. Luckily, we were still okay. All that was in the hole was a mound of grass clippings (which explains the ripped-up patch in the yard just a few feet away), and some old day lily leaves from last season. 

By the time I was done with my "how to drive bunnies away without poison" maneuver, I had thrown all of the "filling" across the yard, placed a square of chicken wire into its place, and was feeling just a little guilty. Later this week I put more chicken wire around the base of about a third of our backyard fence, in the hopes that this would keep them even farther away. (I'd have done more, but I ran out.)

So far, there have been no more bunny sightings. Which is good. 

But it also means there have been no bunny sightings. Which is kind of sad. 

2 comments:

Christopher said...

If it helps, I'll google some bunny pictures each night for you!

Najla said...

I like bunnies too. My husband does not. But at least I can walk around the neighborhood and watch the bunnies that my husband chased away eat other people's shrubs!