Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Ponderances*

While helping to set up for the Friends School of Minnesota Annual Plant Sale today, I had plenty of time to contemplate random things. And, since I haven't had other things to think about today, I thought I'd share some of them.

1) Why is toilet water blue? I fully realize there are people who leave theirs clear, but I like to know that mine is being "cleaned and freshened with every flush." I just want to know why it's blue.

2) Why do so many people like to go out on Friday night after a week of work? I gotta say... Friday night usually means that I'm pooped and don't want to leave the house until sometime mid-Saturday. 

2b) And what's with all of the things which seem to be coming up on Sunday nights? Even I have to work on Mondays, these days. Sunday brunch I understand. Going out late on Sunday night just doesn't make sense to me. 

3) Why are some things on DVD and some things not? I mean... I can get the first 3 seasons of The Facts of Life from Netflix, but not the other seasons. And some great shows (like Sisters and anything beyond the first season of Maude) aren't there at all. Who decides those things?

4) Why do gas prices keep going up at the pump, when crude prices are so low and there is a glut on the market? And why can stations on opposite sides of the street have wildly different prices? 

Oh. In case you're wondering, the set-up for the Friends Plant Sale actually went pretty well, all things considered. I helped put up shelves, move trees around, and unload shopping carts from the back of a small semi. Surprisingly enough, the shopping cart maneuvers were kind of fun. I was in the middle, so I basically got to help take them off the stack (there were two levels of them), spin them around, and pass them to the guy at the back of the truck, who then sent them down a ramp to the people waiting below. 

Unfortunately, cart un-wrangling was also the loudest thing I did all night. The noise reminded me of a cross between the end of a roller coaster (when the cars are all getting caught back up in the rails and go "thudda-thuddada-thuddada") and what it must sound like to be behind the pins in a bowling alley where the balls and pins all reset. When I got back out of the truck, the world seemed very quiet. It was nice.

So... Yeah... In case I ever ask, please remind me that I never want to be a bowling pin.

*"Ponderances," in case you're wondering, apparently does not mean "things to ponder" (as I thought it did). Instead it refers to "weight or gravity." Even so, I think I'm going to make it one of my keyword labels. After all, if we all agree to assert that our definition is correct, who's going to argue with us?

No comments: