Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Evening the Odds

Yesterday morning was a bit strange.

I was running late, and as I backed out of the driveway I glanced over and saw someone driving out of the alley just a little way away. But, as I drove past her, I realized that she hadn't moved. I pulled up to the corner and looked in the rearview mirror. Still no movement, but I could see her front tires spinning. Since I was already running late, it wasn't even a debate.

I turned around and pulled off to the side of the road. As I walked up to her car, the woman rolled down her window and said "Is winter over, yet?" I just laughed as I walked to the back of her car and started to push. About 30 seconds later -- after a quick rock back and then forward again -- she was on her way. And I was just a hair later to work, but with a much better story.

I headed in to work and, only a couple of minutes late, walked into the building. I think I've mentioned in the past that the stairs are narrow and you have to wait for people to pass on the landings. Well, there was someone coming down as I was going up. I waited for her to pass -- we even exchanged pleasantries, believe it or not -- then made my way up. And then I heard one of those strange noises that you recognize as soon as you hear it. I looked over to see her pretty much lying on her back on the next flight of stairs down from me.

Without even thinking, I turned back and asked if she was okay. Of course, she seemed a little embarrassed, but -- happily -- she sat up and said "Yeah. Fine. I didn't hit my head." So I'm guessing a bruised tuchus was probably the worst of it.

Happily, that was the end of my commute to work, and I got in just about 5 minutes late -- but with a couple of good stories to tell.

I told some folks about my morning and got really nice comments about how I was being a good Samaritan. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I was really just happy to have a couple of "cover stories" for my tardy arrival at work.

Oh. And there was one friend of mine who -- when she heard that my morning had been "odd" -- commented that maybe the morning was odd so that the rest of the day could come out even. Gee. You'd never know she was teaching elementary school math, would you...?

No comments: