Thursday, February 4, 2010

One Step Closer - a Lot Further to Go

I heard today, from Blake Hayes (well, indirectly, at least) that the Air Force Sergeant -- who has now admitted to verbally and physically attacking Blake and his friends Alec and Danny last September in New York -- has been disciplined by the Air Force where he is stationed in London.

**If you need a reminder about what I'm talking about, my original posting about this hate crime can be found here (from last September), and a recent update is here (from last month).**

I don't have a lot of information on it, and what I do have all comes second-hand from The New York Daily News. It seems that Staff Sergeant Benjamin Ford -- a bronze star recipient who diffuses bombs -- has been stripped of his rank and "disciplined by the military." He took that punishment in lieu of a court-martial.

According to Blake's update, Ford also wrote apology letters to each of the three victims. Blake commented that the letter he received seemed honestly contrite. So, who knows? Maybe something was learned in all of this.

I wish I could say that I'm really happy about this outcome. But, although I'm pleased to know that some level of justice has come about, I'm still more than a little sad that it happened at all and that three young men had to go through all of this in the 21st century.

And I'm frustrated that, in this day and age, a lot of people have to deal with discrimination and harassment and abuse every day without even the hope of justice -- just for being who they are.

So, although the story of this one hate crime is playing itself out, I still ask that you talk to some people you know about it. Tell them that you think that everyone is created equal -- no exceptions. And tell them that you think everyone deserves the same respect and dignity.

After all, if someone had spoken to Sergeant Ford last August, possibly nothing would have happened last September.

That's worth a conversation, isn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed

Christopher said...

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. I thought he was going to get away without any consequences for sure. Glad someone finally took it seriously.