Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Today's Today-ness May Be Delayed

Sometimes the answer you're looking for is in the least expected place. And, sometimes, it shows up a day or two late.

Hmmm... as I wrote those lines, I could hear in my brain a voice that was a cross betwen Carrie Bradshaw, Doogie Howser, and Phoebe Halliwell (who was channelling Carrie Bradshaw at the time).

Here's the thing, though: I'm really busy at the moment. We had friends in town last weekend and it was a blast seeing them, but it meant that - aside from Sunday's blog - I've been pretty far out of the blogosphere, lately. In fact, I really don't even know what I talked about on Sunday, except for the fact that the weather was sticky, with a capital ICK.

Let's see... What all did we cram into the 52 hours that they were in town? Christopher took them on a downtown Minneapolis tour (including the Mary Tyler Moore statue photo-op, of course) after lunch at the Colossal Cafe on Friday. I met up with them in Uptown where we checked out some stores before heading home where we hung out, made dinner, and then played cards until we were all too tired to stay up any longer.

Saturday was going to be a massively productive and touristy day, but the predicted gorgeous weather became a torrential downpour, so we hung out in the house longer than we had planned. From there we did lunch in St Paul at Grampa Tony's pizza, followed by antique shopping, and then a trip to the Minnehaha Falls, by which time - luckily - the weather had evened out. Saturday evening was the "mystery night" for me, but they did fill me in early enough so that I knew to get a little dressed up for a night of dinner and Cuban jazz piano at the Dakotah in downtown Minneapolis.

Sunday morning was a bit of a repeat of Saturday morning - good intentions to get moving early kind of fell apart. When we did leave, it was to check out the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis, and then to drive around to the Mary Tyler Moore house near Lake of the Isles. From there, we headed home to pick up everyone's luggage and took a quick side-trip to the Mall of America before dropping everyone off at the airport.

Throw in just a little excitement when the basement shower backed up, and you've got a pretty good idea of the weekend.

Of course, as I was trying to figure out what to write, I was stalling and pulled up the Tiz and Ass blog (if you haven't read it recently, you really should check it out). Her reaction to the same kind of situation I had last weekend was as follows:

SIster here

All good... can't write. Busy entertaining.

More soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon.

So I guess I've only sort of been channelling her. Kind of like "Carrie/Doogie/Phoebe/Tiz Lite."

No comments: