Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday Food (For Thought)

I have just been invited out to lunch (tomorrow) by a friend from college. A friend from college whom I have not seen since... umm... I think it was after I got back from Paris. Maybe I was in grad school at the time...? That makes it at least one (okay, almost two) decades ago.

I'm supposed to be spending the weekend editing. I'm supposed to be editing right now. I'm supposed to be trying to make sense of a manuscript filled with jargon, yet missing simple words in the middle of sentences.

It has statements in it like "We have to stop barrowing money from our children's future." Obviously, I run in the wrong circles. Not only did I not know that I had children, but I have never had enough money to need to put it into a wheelbarrow. My wallet usually suffices.

It obviously needs a lot of work. And I have been spending a LOT of time this week working on it while Christopher has been gone. I've put in at least a little time 3 out of 5 nights this week (I didn't do any on Monday night, simply out of principle). I actually had to curtail a couple of phonecalls this week so that I could get back to my "work time." And that really sucked.

But, all week, I've been planning to use tomorrow as my power-editing day. My day to kick this manuscript's proverbial ass. My day to show it who was boss and come out the other side triumphant.

And then I got the lunch invitation. For lunch at some as-yet-undetermined location about an hour from home. Which means that I'm easily going to lose about 3 prime freelancing hours. I probably ought to feel a little guilty about that. But... nah...

Screw the editing. I'm going to leave the barrowing behind and see what re-connecting after nearly 20 years feels like, instead.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

I approve! Have fun with your friend tomorrow, and say "hello" for me (forgetting the fact that I don't know the person).

Oh, I've been meaning to talk to you about the "children" thing. Um, yeah - guess I left it a bit late...

Robin said...

LOL