Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summer Friends

I was driving home from work, today, and as I came into our neighborhood I saw a bunch of kids on the sidewalk.

There were a few kids on bikes, and the rest were on foot. I think there were three girls and five boys. My guess is they were somewhere between twelve and sixteen years old (that set of ages can vary so much).

They didn't look like a matched set, but they looked like they were comfortable with each other. They were just moving along the sidewalk obviously (even to me in my car) talking and joking and having a good time.

I fully admit that I know nothing about any of them. But, in my mind, they were a bunch of kids who were thrown together by proximity. Friends simply because they all live in the same neighborhood, the way friendships form when you're pre-learner's permit.

As I drove past them, I hated that my first thought was that they will probably never see each other again as a group after the summer is over. They'll be back in school and in different grades, and they'll be back to friends from other neighborhoods.

Even so, I hope they truly enjoy this summer of theirs. May it be one they remember long beyond next fall.

No comments: