Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Evening After the Day After the Night After

I have developed a bad habit of checking my work email in the evening (or on weekends) to, basically, find out what it is that I'm getting myself into the next day.

Yesterday I did just that at about 8 o'clock, and then headed for bed around 10:30. The problem is that, this time, instead of just the usual "this has shipped" or "I want to order books" emails, I had... well... this (fair warning, it's not for the faint of heart):

"I don't know what you'retalking about. F*ck your records. The book is hardcover and is 6x9. I want everybody to get together and fix this shit before 10:00am permanently, and the printer to send me the proofs within 24 hours."

Which got me thinking that I might have done something really wrong at some point and not known what that was. And, after also finding another follow-up email to that one, I started seriously questioning what I had or hadn't done.

I decided around 10:30 to give up on that, though, and headed for bed. And I eventually fell sound asleep. Until 2:47am, when I woke up and lay in bed for about a half hour desperately trying to get back to sleep and stop worrying about the emails from work.

I woke up this morning at about 6am, still wondering about that stuff. I almost came up with a solution in the shower, and then headed for work, where I spent the first 20 minutes or so of the day putting together a response to the above-mentioned total git of an author I was going to have to deal with.

And, after I vetted my response through one or two people, I only had to wait about an hour before getting a reply back. After all of last night's vitriol, this morning I got "Thank you for taking care of it."

So... Adrenaline spent after dealing with the lack of sleep and all, I faded pretty massively by around 3:30 this afternoon. By 5pm when I was headed away from work to go to a Happy Hour for a friend who just got a new job, I was on enough of a second wind to get an Amaretto Sour and actually enjoy it.

Which brings us to now. Hanging out with Christopher and watching stuff on the TiVo (which, yes, we've gotten rather accustomed to). I suspect it will be a rather early evening - I hope it will also be a rather long, all-sleep night.

And I can guarantee that I'm not going to check my work email. (If for no other reason that I think Christopher might hurt me if I do...)

No comments: