Monday, August 9, 2010

Movie Monday - Inception

I promise to give no spoilers, except this one: If you leave "Inception" saying that you weren't thrilled by it, you'll be in the minority with a lot of people really kind of upset with you. Well, Christopher wasn't upset with me, but we definitely didn't have the same "take-away" from it.

This is a movie of amazing special effects, as you've probably seen in the previews. Unfortunately, the effects I really loved - which were introduced in the beginning of the movie - weren't followed up on later in the movie. Instead a lot of the focus later in the movie tried to be deep, but at least for me didn't really make it.

But I have to go back to the special effects. They're really cool. Creating - and changing - Paris in the blink of an eye was incredible. Dealing with total weightlessness for a full scene was just cool. And the flow of time was a lot of fun to see happening.

And, yet, there's a point about 3/4 of the way through the movie when, at least to me, it felt like Ellen Page turned to Leonardo DiCaprio and said "My dad has a barn, let's put on a show"... well... that's when I was kind of done with it.

So... yeah... I know a lot of people are loving it, but I'm not one of them.

My overall score: B-. Among other things, I'm just NOT a Leonardo DiCaprio fan (although I like Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy). I also think they cheated toward the end. But I promised I wouldn't say more about that, so I won't.

1 comment:

MizTiz said...

yes yes yes. i feel the same way. LOVED morphing paris. yet wanted to blow my brain out 2/3 of the way in. xxxx