Sunday, September 12, 2010

Post-9/11... 2010

I spent a lot of time, yesterday, thinking.

I saw people online posting the notices of where they were on September 11th, 2001. And I know exactly where I was all that day. And who I called to check on. And how overwhelming that all felt.

Yesterday, though, amid all of the reminiscences, I heard that a good friend's father passed away. Something in the immediacy of that news overshadowed all of the rest of the day.

Another friend of mine, yesterday, quoted some lines of lyrics from a song from the musical "Wicked," and I really don't know how else to sum this up, so I'm going to borrow those lyrics, here.

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

And so, on this day after the day of memories, I thank you all for being a part of my life - whether as readers or commenters or friends or family or people I've never met.

Tomorrow we'll talk about movies. Or the new dog. Or something. I promise.

No comments: