Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Travel Taunt Tuesday

Why is it that every time I'm feeling trapped in my job my inbox is suddenly chock-a-block full of travel offers?

Today I deleted flight offers for trips to Baltimore and Montreal. I deleted an email all about free charter flights if you book a cruise. There was an email about flights to Europe and one about discounts to Walt Disney World.

And I was finding all of these in my email while I was at work. On a day where I spent the first half-hour of the day compiling email back-up information on why a threatened lawsuit is bunk, and then spent time trying to explain the day-to-day process of my job to my boss, I had all of this travel taunting me.

Luckily, I have plenty of imagination to keep me going.

At least I like to think I'm lucky. Perhaps some of my co-workers would disagree.

You see...

Late in the day, one of my co-workers jokingly said that she was having such a slow day that she felt she should be on suicide watch. When I checked on her, later, she said that she was glad I checked in because she had the gun ready to go. And I asked her why she was going to be so boring. She wasn't sure what I meant, so I explained that I thought she would have more imagination about her office-related suicide.

I explained that I imagined that her plans would have involved a trampoline, a rope, and a ham sandwich. Or maybe a goat. Or a trampoline, a rope, a teeter-totter, a goat, AND a ham sandwich.*

Perhaps I should have booked a trip online, instead.

*The goat and the person stand on opposite ends of a balanced teeter-totter, with the person holding the sandwich. The teeter-totter is on the trampoline, and the rope is tied in a noose around the person's neck (looped over the ductwork near the ceiling). The goat eats the ham sandwich out of the person's hand, causing the teeter-totter to tilt, and the goat to fall off, safely, onto the trampoline, while the person falls and... well.. tightens the noose. I believe Rube Goldberg would be proud of my imagination some days.

No comments: