Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Furry

Yes. I know that Friday is usually "food," but I just have to touch on this topic for a moment or two.

I work with someone who has... well... issues with animals. She's an extreme vegetarian (but not a vegan), and although I'm fully in favor of her having her opinions and beliefs, I get a little frustrated that she freaks out about other people's stuff.

She writes off any place which has even the hint of not treating animals well. Which I totally understand because animal cruelty really ought to earn people seats in the worst ring of hell.

But... sometimes... she goes a little too far. Like criticizing what you're eating - as you're eating it.

Or... well... Let's see... Someone else was trying to think of things to do this weekend, and I suggested the Minnesota Zoo. Of course, that got a huge "NO, you can't do that!" And, okay, I guess I could have guessed that would happen.

But she freaked when another coworker killed a fly. I mean... really?

What makes this even stranger - at least to me - is that she loves to ride horses. I'm sure that they're all very well taken care of, but they're obviously not running free on the open plains.

I fully admit that I'm probably naif about this (please don't send me any links to sites about animal cruelty), but what makes keeping horses in a barn and riding them for your pleasure any better than the animals at the zoo who aren't in cages but are in massive habitats created specifically for them - where they get better meals and care than they'd ever get in the wild?

Which is to say that I think both of them are probably fine in the grand scheme of things. As is eating pot roast and mashed potatoes. And killing mosquitoes.

But anyone tries to be cruel to any pets while I'm around... that's a whole different story.

No comments: