Monday, September 19, 2011

Movie Monday - Drive

Occasionally it would be a good thing to read up on a movie before going. Usually, I don't think that's such a good idea, because I don't want to have any big pre-conceived notions before the lights go down. But, occasionally, it might be good.

Going to see the movie "Drive," for instance, without having read up on it may not have been my best movie-going choice of recent times.

You see, I read the first lines of the write-ups (which talked about Ryan Gosling playing a stunt driver who takes side jobs as a get-away driver) and thought that it sounded like it would be a heist film. Lots of action. Some good cars. Ryan Gosling looking cool in action scenes in good cars. The basics.

And, yes, the movie does have those things. But it's also a movie about when things go wrong and bad choices are made and how much worse both of those can be if there are mob connections involved.

Oh, yeah, and it also has a plot. Like a real serious "pay attention because this is a good movie" plot. With really good actors. And people you come to care about just because of on-screen chemistry.

And it also has some violence and nudity - both of which are used only as plot points, and not gratuitously. Although - truth be told - I covered my eyes a couple of times during some of the violent parts (hence the hands in the gunky hair from yesterday's post).

Is it a really good movie? Yes. Is it a little too violent - in a very realistic way - for, say, my parents to go to? Yes. Were Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan really rather amazing in it? Also yes. Was I disappointed that I didn't get a big car chase movie? I don't think so, really.

Overall grade: B. I do think some of the violence could have been handled better, and I really don't get the use of the 1980s typeface for the credits (if you see the movie - or even just the promotional materials - you'll know what I mean).

1 comment:

Libby said...

I saw "Drive" this weekend (thanks to this lovely review) and was really happy that I did not have any hair gunk.