Sunday, September 18, 2011

Gunky (Not Gloppy) Hair Day

I'm not posting a photo of my hair to help you understand tonight's dilemma because, frankly, it looks about the same as it always does. It's just that... well... it doesn't feel the same as always.

You see, I'm almost out of the regular (and cheap) glop I use on my hair when it's short (as it is at the moment). But since I was planning to go out of the house today - and didn't want to wear a hat - I needed to put something in my hair.

Not wanting to waste the glop because I will need it for work tomorrow, I opted for the more expensive gunk which I bought a while ago when I was trying to see if it would work for me. (And, really, it does.)

The problem is that, although the outcome looks pretty much the same whether I use the glop of the gunk, the feel of it is totally different.

The glop dries kind of... well... soft. I can touch my hair throughout the day (when I'm frustrated at work or can't think of words to play in my online Scrabble games), and although it gets mussier (but in less-purposeful ways), it doesn't ever feel weird.

The gunk, on the other hand, it just gets kind of... umm... gunky feeling after you work it into your hair. So when I was cringing behind my hand at the movie this afternoon, or when I was trying not to pull out my hair while doing a last-minute edit tonight, I would pull my hand away from my hair and it would feel kind of strange. Not quite sticky, but not quite dry, either.

Okay... yes... on the plus side, the more I play with my hair when it has the gunk in it, the less gunky it feels, and it still tends to look "purposely mussed." Which, really, is probably a selling point I should pay attention to since I'm going to be doing more editing going forward and will need my hair to stand up to more "frustration mussing." (But, even so, who wants to play with gunky-feeling hair to begin with?)

Tomorrow after work I'm definitely going on a quest to find more glop. And then, maybe - once I'm sure I can get that - I'll try the gunk, again, just to be sure how I feel about it

No comments: