Monday, September 26, 2011

Long Show, Short Review

Christopher and I saw "Cosi fan Tutte" on Saturday. It was the kick-off for The Minnesota Opera's new season.

It's a Mozart opera. A comic tale of love, fidelity, romance, lust, deception, and - apparently - a moat that opens and closes with badly-done stage work.

The singers - incredible. The set - beautiful. The main characters' costumes - gorgeous. The show (as written by Mozart) - active and fun for the first 90 minutes, kind of a yawn-fest for about 45 minutes of the second 90 minutes (I mean, really, no matter how amazing the woman's voice is, I don't have the patience for 10 minutes of "I hate myself for not staying faithful, but I'm going to do it anyway" over and over and over).

Here are my biggest questions:
1) Did it really need the moat with a sliding cover? And, if so, why didn't someone WD-40 the bejeezus out of it?
2) Why did the stagehands all look like Italian goons?

And here are my wrap-up questions (they actually come with answers):
a) Is it a good show for people who aren't sure they like opera? Well, up until the intermission, I'd say yes.
b) Is it a show which non-opera-lovers can point to and say "See. This is why I don't like this stuff"? I'm going to have to also say yes.

Did I enjoy it, overall? Yes. Really, the music is amazing - even in the parts where the show is boring, the vocalists were incredible. And visually it's very pretty - so if just daydream through the boring part, it could be almost perfect.

1 comment:

Robin said...

lol - I would probably daydream through most of it. Do wonder why the stagehands all looked Italian, though.