Thursday, April 19, 2012

Yeah. What She Said.

I don't think I get up on my soapbox too often on here. And, sometimes, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

But I saw this posted online, today, and felt like I could share it and soapbox just a little simply by quoting something from the news, and not something that I said on my own:

"Gay people are born into and belong to every society in the world. They are all ages, all races, all faiths. They are doctors and teachers, farmers and bankers, soldiers and athletes. And whether we know it, or whether we acknowledge it, they are our family, our friends, and our neighbors. Being gay is not a western invention. It is a human reality."

So you're probably wondering what gay activist said that. Or looking for the twist, where I say that it was from Oscar Wilde. Or that it's from a Hollywood type just trying to get air time.

You'd be wrong.

It's a quote from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. A woman with almost nothing to gain - and a whole lot to lose - from givng a soundbite like that to the national and international press. But she stood up for what she believes in and put it out into the ether for all eternity.

One voice, speaking out for equality in a world that often advocates war over the discussion of ideals.

You know... I think that the more I hear from her, the more I like her.

No comments: