Friday, December 6, 2013

Moving Christmas

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that the title of this post means that I'm going to write something emotional and tear-jerking. But, no. What I'm referring to is that I think that Christmas should be moved to a different time of year.

To wit (which I admit I always thought was spelled "whit" but I just looked it up and the h-less version is apparently idiomatically correct), I offer the following:

1) At the point in the year when there is the least light (at least in the northern hemisphere), people are most prone to depression and the inability to focus, both of which are kind of counter to the whole "let's throw big parties, plan a lot, and be happy" holiday set-up. To keep it even between hemispheres, we could maybe move it to spring or fall - even keeping to the pagan calendars (since Christmas is when it is in large part because putting it on the Solstice made a lot of converts happy) by dropping it on an Equinox, maybe.

2) The weather at this time of year (again, mainly in the northern hemisphere) frequently sucks. Both for errand-running and for over-the-river-and-through-the-woods-ing. Again, an Equinox might be better.

3) I found an article online, recently, that pointed out that one of the main Bible stories of the Nativity references that the shepherds were watching their flocks by night (we all know that line), and that shepherds would only have been in the fields during the summer months. During the winter, the sheep would have been kept closer to the towns/farms to be kept warmer. So... If the original Nativity was during better weather months, I'm thinking that moving it just seems better and better.

Okay... Okay... I know that Christmas isn't going to be moved. I know that we're stuck with it when it is. But since Thanksgiving does move around, I'm totally taking advantage of the "I got thrown off by Thanksgiving being so late" factor this year. I think it's the only way I can even come close to being ready for Christmas.

No comments: