Saturday, August 23, 2014

Barrowman, Delayed

It's been a while since I've posted about a John Barrowman sighting. Part of that, I fully admit, is that now he's easier to find on social media or on TV, and so it's not the surprising happening that it used to be.

These days, I kind of see him popping up all the time and I just think "oh, look, there he is," but without as much of a thrill as before. Basically, I think I used to have a serious case of "absence makes the heart grow fonder." And, although I'm definitely not to the point of "familiarity breeds contempt," I'm just kind of used to him being around on the various electronic media. (And, yes, I admit that part of that comes from having met him at that book signing a couple years ago.)

Today, however, was different. I was scrolling through my Facebook feed, and he kept popping up. A lot more often than on a usual day. And mostly it seemed to be short videos, as opposed to just snapshots here and there. (And none of them included an ice bucket.)

So, finally, I checked out the one which was one of the most recent ones from the afternoon. (If I did it right, that video is here:)

http://www.whosay.com/status/johnbarrowman/973013?wsref=fb&code=Ajr95iz

If you didn't watch it, here's the main idea: He was apparently supposed to be in Chicago for a major event, today, but got delayed leaving Vancouver (where he's filming a TV show). More specifically, he missed his flight because he'd overslept.

But the important thing isn't that he overslept. The important thing is that he had been posting videos beginning this morning telling people that he was delayed - and why he was delayed, and apologizing for it all. He spends most of the videos explaining how people can re-schedule meet-n-greets with him, and thanking his fans for understanding. And, again, apologizing and taking all the blame on himself.

I've gotten so used to his usual public persona, which is charming, but with a touch of the loveable jackass, that I kind of kept waiting for that to come through. And it doesn't show up in any of the videos from early today. (Yes, he clowns around in one of the later videos, but that's after he has finally made it to his destination.)

I know that the world of celebrity has very much changed in this electronic world. And that people's careers live or die by what goes on in a split second. So I'm sure that some of what was going on was probably "spin." But this is the first time in a while that I have seen all of the mea culpa-ing being done by the star, and not by the star's team. We don't see posts by his team apologizing for his delay. We only see him frustrated with himself - not the airlines or anyone else. And I kind of have to hand it to him for that.

And, because of that, I thought it was worth noting.

No comments: