Saturday, May 9, 2015

Post-Plant Sale-ing

I made it to the Friends School Plant Sale after work last night. There were a ton of cars around, so parking wasn't great, but there didn't seem to be that many people there.

That's one of the great things I learned the last time I went on Friday night. You see, the plants all get stocked (or re-stocked) overnight, so the serious shoppers go first thing in the morning, and not as many people are there the rest of the day.

Of course, this means that if you go late in the day there are also a number of plants that are already sold out (at least for the day) by the time you get there.

Yeah... That's what I dealt with.

About half of what I was looking for was already gone. Luckily, I'd made up a kind of back-up list, so I knew what else I could look for, but it was still a little depressing.

Today, though, I was out and about and made a "filler" trip to the local garden store, and then came home and planted things. (Technically, it's too early to do that in Minnesota, but I checked the forecasts, and we should be okay for the next 10 days - and the usual planting date is May 15, so... hopefully we're in the clear.) I've got a few things left to put in the ground (I gave up after my back started to give out), but our yard is already looking pretty good.

We still have to deal with ripping out some old shrubs (some are dying, some we just don't like), but that can happen later on. Sometime after I feel like I can stand up straight, again.

No comments: