Thursday, May 7, 2015

Pre-Plant Sale-ing

There is a really big plant sale that happens every year in the Twin Cities on Mother's Day weekend. Really big.

It's a fundraiser for the Friends School of Minnesota, and it takes over the area beneath the State Fair Grandstand for the weekend. The plants are smaller than you'd find at a greenhouse-type garden store (for the most part), but are also less expensive than those.

But what really brings people out - at least most people I know - is the selection of plants. They have all sorts of native and/or unique plants which you really can't find anywhere else.

For a long time, the hot peppers that Christopher really likes could only be found there. We've purchased Pasque flowers at the sale, too, which are really cool. (The rare Lady Slipper orchid we tried didn't survive the first season, unfortunately, because our yard just wasn't the right microclimate.)

The past few days, I've been checking out the catalog - both physical and online - and trying to figure out both what we "need" and what we want. I think I've got it figured out. But I'm sure I'll change my mind multiple times once I'm there - especially since I'm going after work tomorrow, so some things will probably be pretty picked over (to be re-stocked Saturday morning). Not to mention that at the end of the day I'm likely to be a tad tired and hungry.

We'll see how it goes, and whether I end up sticking to both of my budgets (you know - both the monetary one and the yard-space one).

No comments: