Saturday, September 6, 2008

Going Beyond the Garage Party

File under: Better than a Frozen Fish Fight. 

Alright... It's late and that I've just gotten back from my friend's 40th birthday "Garage Party." So I hope you're not looking for anything too long from me for today. But don't worry--I do have a few things to comment on.

**explanatory sidenote** A typical midwestern Garage Party includes some or all of the following: a keg of beer; various people bringing salads (especially potato or pasta salads); chips and dips; a radio or CD player playing more questionable music as the evening progresses; one or more people who get too drunk too quickly and make the rest of the crowd really uncomfortable. **end explanatory sidenote**

1) I'm glad that I have great people in my life--and I'm even more glad that some of them are people who have been around for many years and through many stages of life.

2) I'm excited that my friends know me well enough that they would invite me to a Garage Party--but relieved that they wouldn't ever think of throwing me one. 

3) Bursting out laughing because the possibly-twelve-year-old kid behind the grocery store counter practically scolded you for buying four bags of tortilla chips at 9:53 on a Saturday night is probably not a good reason to run a stoplight--even if the friend you were buying the chips for is on the police force.

4) Time changes some things. Time also leaves some things the same. It's up to us to figure out what to do with what remains.

And thus, for tonight, it's time to head for bed. 

No comments: