Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

My weekend as a bachelor is fast coming to a close. Not that it's a bad thing. In fact, I'm rather looking forward to hearing the garage door open indicating my partner's returning car.

On the other hand, though, his return does signal the end of the long holiday weekend. Granted as someone who is unemployed... errr... ummm... freelancing, the long weekend doesn't really make a lot of difference. In fact, I spent more time editing and copywriting for a friend's website this weekend than I have anytime recently. (As soon as it's up and running, I'm sure I'll be telling you all about it!) And I spent the early part of this afternoon doing all of the domestic chores of cleaning the house and doing laundry. Obviously the basic stuff that we usually do on the weekend had to get done--even on the holiday weekend.

On the other hand (oops. I think I may be up to three hands, now), I was good and didn't go out shopping or anything. I've worked plenty of "holidays" in retail and in customer service. Not fun. Personally, I don't like encouraging stores to stay open--especially on days like this which are supposed to be set aside for people to NOT work. Instead, I watched a movie on DVD ("Definitely, Maybe"), ate some leftovers, and have been checking out some of the news and weather on TV. So I know what's going on with Gustav, and I've watched the coverage of the rioting--or hooliganism as one of the local stations is calling it--going on in St. Paul. (Oddly enough, although I've also been checking out the national news, I haven't seen any of the altercations--which have included tear gas and all sorts of minor property destruction--on the national news. Have any of you seen any of that stuff on TV?) 

Oy. I think maybe it's time to sink into the couch, watch some fluff on TV and collapse before the week ahead. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a pretty good weekend, overall.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I am in Ohio and know nothing of rioting in Minnesota!! Convention-inspired?

Robert said...

There were thousands of people in a very polite (after all, this IS Minnesota) anti-war protest. But there was a small group of self-proclaimed anarchists who threw benches into the streets, trashed some downtown store windows, slashed newsvan tires, and even apparently went after some convention delegates who were on the street and in buses.
Again, this morning, the local news has coverage of the altercations, but I haven't seen anything on the national news.

Robert said...

**Update: Depending upon which news source you check out, there were between 5,000 and 10,000 people marching peacefully, yesterday, in St. Paul. And apparently almost 300 self-described anarchists were arrested for rioting (many on felony-level charges).