Friday, September 12, 2008

It's All About Baggage

Have you noticed that the theme of many of my past few posts have been about baggage? Or... rather... "baggage."

After all, while I was travelling back into the past with my friends and family last weekend, I was dealing with all of the interactions which came before. Even yesterday when I was working on my toilet fill valve I was dealing with my past history of never having done that kind of thing before.

Today, on the other hand, my partner (by the way... have I mentioned that his name is Christopher?) and I are working on packing for a one-week trip to Canada--specifically Montreal and Quebec City--which we're embarking on tomorrow. We're stumbling through the newest round of regulations about which airlines charge for bags and figuring out which ones do or don't allow carry-ons. Frustratingly, we also have to deal with memories of prior bad luck with lost luggage when having to change planes while travelling. All of which means we're both rethinking our packing methods. Of course, we know that the days of bringing home bottles of maple syrup or Canadian beer are long gone, but we'd like to at least be sure that our socks and undies make it to and fro at the same time we do. (Please wish us luck... think good thoughts... cross your fingers... whatever you can do to help!)

So we're seriously under-packing and hoping to do laundry while we're there. We're putting all of our 3-ounce bottles in their Ziploc bags. And we're using some of our precious space for packing munchies just in case we get stranded somewhere along the way. 

Maybe there's a life lesson to be learned there, too: Pack light. Take only what you need. Bring munchies. 

Even so... I think I'll still miss the maple syrup.

No comments: