Thursday, February 5, 2009

Giving Equal Time

We are finally getting our January thaw. It's a week late, but I'm not about to complain when the weather forecasters are all saying that we're supposed to have 4 or 5 days in a row at or above 30 degrees. Instead, I thought I'd give the warm weather equal time.

Today I celebrated the warm turn by going out and running a couple of errands while wearing something other than one of my massive winter coats. 

** sidenote ** I've been noticing, lately, that people in this part of the world dress - and look - incredibly androgynous this time of year. I was watching someone cross the street in front of me today, and with hat and scarf and boots and big puffy coat, I had no idea if it was a man or woman. This doesn't seem to happen in "warmer" parts of the country because people can wear stylish coats and hats and shoes, because stylish clothing tends to be more gender-specific. I think that's one of the weird things about living in this part of the country: Not even knowing whether your about to hit a man or a woman who is being an idiot walking in front of your car. ** end sidenote **

In fact, I even went so far as to shovel a bunch of snow onto one of our small garden plots. It's in a corner near the house and garage, and gets a lot of sun, so the snow is all gone, there. Since the ground is packed with bulbs right there, I don't want them to think it's warm enough to come up. So I covered them with snow. Kind of a reverse of covering plants with blankets in the fall. 

Equally exciting is that the second of possibly seven buds on our orchid has begun to open. Now we have one fully open flower and one half-open, with hopes for even more as we go along. My camera is not digital, and is getting old, but I took the following photo of the first bloom last week:


Wow... That's really blurry... sorry... Just imagine the flower looking really clear and delicate, and you'll get the idea of what it was like to see the first bloom open. Now, imagine what it's like to have one open bloom and see the next bud in line looking like that. Can you see why it kind of feels like waiting for spring? It's cool. Err... warm...?

No comments: