Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Once More Before the Snow Flies

It's a gorgeous day outside. The sun is just going down and it's about 5:30, already. Amazing what a few weeks do this time of year! It was even up to almost 40 degrees today, which is -- finally -- above average for this time of year. 

Of course, as the title of this post suggests, this is not a weather pattern that is expected to stick around. I've just watched a weather forecast which stated that we're supposed to get about 6 inches of snow tomorrow, and the next time we get up to 32 degrees is predicted for sometime next week. And, as the snow falls, we're expecting the Paperwhites are about to tumble, as well. 

So, with that in mind, here are a few final shots of them from the past couple of days. A reminder as we go through these, that I only put the bulbs in rocks and poured water on them 13 days ago. 

First... pictures from a day or two ago:

(Can you see the string in the middle? We had to tie two of the 14-inch stems to a chopstick to keep them upright.)

(The top of the plant that is in the vase by itself.)


Oh... And one shot of the roots going down into the vase. (I admit that I've been geeking out over the science side of watching these grow!)


And a final shot of the large bunch from today. Have I mentioned that I was expecting these to look more like standard daffodils? The fact that each of the stems is topped with about 10 blooms which each looks like a one-inch wide daffodil has been absolutely amazing. 


Of course, one of the best things about these is that they're "recyclable." Once they die back, I've been told to let them dry out, put them in a paper bag in a dry, dark place, and then wait about 6 months and start them all over again (although probably without the endless blogging about them). How cool is that? 

3 comments:

Laura said...

I thought of you (how weird is that? I don't know you) a few days ago when my kaffir lime tree BLOOMED. Kaffir lime trees are NOT supposed to bloom indoors in the winter in northernish North America. Could it be a lime or 2 will manage to grow? I am afraid to hope. I do know though that paying for the extra south facing windows (the tree gets south and west) in the living room was apparently a fabulous idea!

Laura said...

PS The Paperwhites are lovely. :)

Robert said...

Laura--

How exciting that your Lime is blooming!! You'll have to take pictures and post about it! I can't wait to see what happens, next.

And thanks for the paperwhite comments. They're still thriving, actually. Not producing any new flowers, but getting taller. I'm guessing they're about 2-feet tall, now. (Looks like I may have to post about them, again... ;-)