Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Aww... Hail...?

It hailed today. Not nearly as much as it did last summer (when we had ice floes in the street and holes in all of our basement window covers), but still enough to be a little freaky.

I've never understood hail. I mean... I understand the physics of it and how/why it happens. I just don't understand why it exists in the grand cosmic scheme of things.

The weirdest thing of all for me is that, since hail almost always happens on really warm days, you end up with little ice balls in the yard when it's summer-y out. I can't get ice to stay in a soda while I drink it, but the hail sits in the corners of the yard for hours.

Rain makes sense. Drizzle makes a little sense. Fog is cool. Snow is, basically, winter rain. But hail. Hail is weird.

1 comment:

Laura said...

This has been an insane summer. I had to pull the plug on my daughter's swim lessons it has been so cold (and she is a nervous swimmer, so she was not enjoying them and is not one of those kids to swim no matter how cold it is). Ridiculous. And the tomatoes are refusing to ripen, too cold. *sigh*