Saturday, July 18, 2009

One More "Time"

After finishing yesterday's post about my watches, I realized that I should probably come out with full disclosure.

You see, it's not just watches that I like. It's any kind of chronometric gadget. Especially analog (as opposed to digital) ones. We had chiming clocks when I was growing up, and I loved winding them. And my parents still have a cuckoo clock which they got in Germany probably about 50 years ago. (At least I think that's where/when it's from. I'm sure I'll hear about it if I'm wrong.)

I started picking up different clocks a few years ago. They are remarkably cheap pieces of artwork, and they come in all different styles, shapes, colors, you name it. I think a square metallic one from IKEA was the first one I really bought just for looks (it's the one that reads 5:06 in the second picture, below). But then I picked up an "antiqued"one. And, somehow, like with the watches, people started to give me clocks.

I was given one from the Museum of Modern Art which simply has a single red ball on it marking the passage of time (bottom left in the second picture, below). And I was given one with a chromatic wheel on it, where, as the seconds pass, the color wheel is altered.

Unfortunately, after a while, I decided I needed a way to answer the obvious question "Why all the clocks?" when people came over.

Okay. Yes. I do like to be on time. But my main fascination with the clocks (and watches) is, admittedly, aesthetic. I just like the way they look. But people look at you funny when you say something like that. So I came up with a way of explaining a large number of them.

You see, since I've moved a lot in my life, I decided to put up a cluster of clocks so that I could keep track of what time it was in different parts of the world. That way I knew what time it was when I tried to phone people. (After all I didn't want to wake anyone up, right?) And, since that "used up" 5 of my clocks, I figured that was a good start.

** Timezone Cluster Sidenote ** In case you're wondering, they are set to the times in: (starting on the left, top to bottom) Paris; London/Cardiff ; Hanson, Idaho; and LA/San Francisco. The one on the right is local to Minneapolis (and East River South Dakota). For some reason, it's really easy for me to remember the time in Baltimore and New York, so I don't have one set to that timezone. But if I get a new one, that's what it will probably be set to. ** End Timezone Cluster Sidenote **

How many clocks do I have? Well, not counting things like the ones on the TV, VCR and such appliances, I can easily count 10. And, no, none of those are Christopher's. They're all mine. There are the 5 in the "timezone cluster" (above) , 1 chiming clock on the shelf, 2 clocks in the bathroom (one is a radio), 1 in the pantry, and 1 in the bedroom.

In case you're wondering, I am very glad that we only change the clocks twice each year. It takes me a good half-hour to do, and I invariably forget one. (And I can never remember how to change the time on my car clocks, but that's a whole different story.)

Watches and Clocks. Nothing like functional accessories that also look good.

Oh, and that "helping me be on time" thing is nice, too.

1 comment:

Dragonfly said...

This seems very Gemini of you too, because ruling planet Mercury is the messenger and raced about to deliver messages in a timely fashion!