Thursday, July 23, 2009

Closer? No. Not really.

Waiting to hear if anything is going to happen with my job is beginning to feel like a day of waiting for the cable guy to show up. You know how it is -- They say they'll be there between 8am and 5pm, and you can't do anything about it.

Worse, yet, you also can't do anything during that time period. God forbid you decide to run to the store or have a shower, because you know that's when they'll show up. So you spend the day kind of oddly tense and on edge. Frustrated, even though you did agree to the cable company's rules.

That's how it's been at work all week.

I mean, I got the "new offer" on Monday, and when I went in on Wednesday (yesterday) my boss was really busy. So I sent him a nice little email saying "Yes. I definitely want the job, but I have a few questions." I thought it was only right to get a few things on the table before we went much further.

You know... As-yet-unanswered questions, like: "Will I be hourly or salaried? Will I be eligible for insurance and vacation/sick time?" Fairly minor questions, in the grand scheme, but also rather important when starting any job. Oh, and I also asked this: "When does the new position start?"

I sent my email, and went back to work. I waited. I did some book orders. I waited. I did some proofing. I waited. I came home at the end of the day.

Today, I went in to work at my usual 10am (enjoying it as long as I can since the new schedule will be 9-5). I did some book orders. I dealt with some authors. I waited. I checked my email. I did some book orders. I waited.

At about 1pm, I got an instant message from the boss saying "I haven't forgotten about your email. I need to talk to A about it, first." ("A" is someone who is between him and me in the chain of command.)

Here's the thing... He's the boss. He basically does whatever he wants in the hiring/firing realm. But on this matter he apparently needs to check with someone down the ladder from him? I'm very confused.

So... I left the office today for the weekend, with no more solid answers than I had when I left work on Monday. For all I know, I'll go in next week and find out one of three things: 1) I should have come in at 9, because they thought I was starting the new gig; 2) the offer is off the table; or 3) that I've got more time to wait.

At least when you wait for the cable guy, if he's late you can bargain for free HBO.

No comments: