Thursday, July 9, 2009

Putting a Price on my Head

Ahhh... What a wonderful thing the current economy is. It has opened up all sorts of new possibilities for so many people, myself included. Today I got to experience yet another of those.

I've been offered (or at least "informational interviewed for") a new freelance gig. It would be about 15 to 20 hours per week for at least the next 6 to 8 weeks. I could do it without leaving my current part-time job. And it would still allow me evenings and weekends as my own time -- either to look for other work or to actually attempt a social life ("attempt" being an operative word on my current income).

The job would be kind of a cross between website copywriting and project management. It's a fairly exciting project, actually, with a lot of ins and outs and a lot of autonomy. The subject matter is totally up my alley. Heck. If all goes well, it could even extend beyond the end of the currently planned timeframe.

Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? Well, here's the deal: I know plenty of people who work in the industry as copywriters, designers, project managers, and the like. And I know that the average per hour rates could -- at least before these fun economic times -- run anywhere from a bare minimum of $25/hour up into the $100s/hour. This job? Well... This job's pay rate makes that bare minimum looks like it's wearing an Armani suit. Granted, it's more than my currently hourly rate, but nowhere near what I know the job should be paying.

When I mentioned what would be considered "standard" rates to the person in charge, the response was: "Well. I guess I could just go to one of the colleges and get someone who can work for minimum wage." When I cautioned that that might not be the wisest choice, the answer was: "I guess I could just write it myself. I mean... that would be a lot cheaper."

I'm a member of a couple of different groups of freelance writers and creative types, and I know that everyone has been through this. We all hear the same thing: Clients who feel there's no reason to hire a professional writer, designer, editor, whatever, because "anyone can do it."

** Sorry. I need to continue this rant for just a moment longer. If you'd prefer, join us after the next set of asterisks. **
Why is it that someone with 6 years of college for Writing gets the "anyone can do that" response, when all through those 6 years other people wanted me to write their papers?
Why do people pay $150 to accountants with a certificate from a 6-week course (or less) to do their taxes, when all that is is basic math, but still won't pay a living wage for the person who has literally decades of education and experience in writing in the field?
I'm more than happy to pay an expert "Drain Guy" to come out to fix the drain because I know he can do it right, do it well, and do it quickly -- why don't people hire creative types in the same way?
** End -- at least for now -- of this rant **

sigh

Right now, unfortunately, even at about 1/3 the going rate for copywriters, it would be income. And income sounds really good.

** Spellcheck fun, Day 2 ** Spellcheck is still having issues with the word "professional." Today it also highlighted "possibilities." Oh. And since it really wants me to make "timeframe" two words, I hit the suggestions button and it gave me two options for "timeframe": "time frame" or "dimorphism." Dimorphism? What the heck is that? ** End spellcheck fun, Day 2 **

No comments: