Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I Don't Think I Own Purple

I have lived in Baltimore (land of the Ravens) and Minneapolis (land of the Vikings), but I seem to own absolutely nothing that is actually purple.

I have maroon. I have pink. I have blue and red and black and green and brown and pretty much any other color of pretty much any rainbow. But I have no purple.

I think that, once, I had a shirt that was kind of purple, but I have no idea where it might have gone.

Why am I worrying about this?

Because tomorrow, the 20th, people are being asked to wear purple in honor of/remembrance of all of the gay teens who have taken their own lives in the recent past.

You see, on the gay pride rainbow flag, purple is the color of "Spirit." So the idea is that people should wear purple tomorrow to show solidarity and support and to raise awareness.

So, somehow, I need to find something purple to wear tomorrow.

What will you be wearing?

UPDATE (about two hours after posting the above): I found a purple shirt in my closet! Okay... I'm going to look a bit like I'm on Island Time, but - according to Christopher - from a distance it "reads purple" - so I'm good to go. I only wish, now, that it wasn't necessary. You know?)

No comments: