Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Food - Bribery

You know, most people hear the word "bribery" and think of bad things. But tonight I'd like to make a case for the positive sides of bribery. For instance:

At work, when one of my co-workers needs me to step in and deal with something she doesn't want to do, I'm much more likely to do it when a bag of peanut butter M&Ms appears on my desk. (Does anyone else remember "Oompahs"? They were a "Willy Wonka"-branded half peanut butter/half chocolate in a candy shell candy back in the 70s. I don't know if they exist any more, but they were the forerunners of these M&Ms.)

At home, when the pup needs a little enticement to go somewhere -- such as into her kennel before I leave for the day -- bribery in the form of a treat is very helpful. If nothing else, it keeps her from whining and whimpering at least until I'm out of earshot. Which makes is possible for me to feel a little less guilty.

When you're in need of a big favor, though, that's when the bribery has to be good. Like when you're moving, so you promise everyone who helps that they'll get pizza and beer when you're done. Or, say, you have to drop your car off at a garage at 7 in the morning and need someone to pick you up. That's not really a good time for pizza and beer, but it's so early that there definitely needs to be some recompense. Tomorrow, in just that case, Christopher will be getting treated to croissants from Patisserie 46 on the way home. And I just might get something for myself, too. After all, it would be sad to make him eat all on his own.

So... A question for you: What food bribery do you prefer? (Go ahead... leave a comment on here so everyone can see it... I think it could be interesting to see what you all say.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am pretty sure icould be bribed to pick you up from the auto shop for a croissant and an espresso!