Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Suckage by the Ton

I've been told - politely - that I complain about work a substantial amount on here. I've also been told that some of my best postings are the ones where I kind of just state the facts and let it go. With those two thoughts in mind, I offer...

This week (and it's only Wednesday) has been a whole lot of suckage at work.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday training the person who is going to be taking over 1/3 of my current job. The 1/3 that I actually enjoy doing. And I'm guessing she's making about twice what I make. And I got to train her and provide her with materials. The part that really sucks? I kind of like her and think she might be fun to work with. If the situation was a bit different.

This morning, having placed an order for 6 boxes of a title to ship from the warehouse, I was told that only 4 were available. So I contacted the person who has been dealing with our inventory and she told me that the stock won't be available for probably another week. This wouldn't be so bad if she hadn't told me a week or so ago that it would be available now. When I asked her about it today, she told me I shouldn't have assumed anything, I should have asked her. I pointed out that I did ask her, and was moving forward based on what she told me. She said she couldn't figure out why I was getting so frustrated. The part that really sucked? She brought me chocolate later in the day to apologize - so I had to stop fuming. (Side question: If she hadn't realized that she had, in fact, been in the wrong do you think she'd have brought me chocolate? My answer to that would be "no.")

The final fun of the day came from the IT department. I found myself being lectured by one of the IT guys on how great a new file management system is going to be. Here's the catch: he fully admitted that he has no idea what I need the system to do. He also very obviously didn't want to hear what I need it to do. He kept insisting that he was trying to figure it out, but instead of asking and listening, he walked away from me and talked to someone else in the office because he feels I'm "adverse to change" (yes - he said "adverse" not "averse"). The sucky part? I can see why he's excited about the new system - but I also know that it's going to make some portions of my job a lot more labor-intensive.

Thus sucketh another day.

No comments: