Friday, January 6, 2012

An Epiphanatical Tiz List

*Epiphanatical (adj.) - pertaining to Epiphany and/or epiphanies.

Okay, so, since I've started this one out with a whole new word, I guess I'd better make it good. But here's the thing: a "Tiz List" is supposed to be a list of things other people don't know about me. For this one, since it falls on Epiphany, I'm going to also try to make it a list of things I've learned about myself in the recent past. Let's see how it goes...

1) I can get kind of jealous - and at odd times, and over odd things. Never used to be that way, but I noticed it, recently.

2) I'm becoming more and more intolerant of people who are rude or abusive to people in service roles.

3) People who correct other people's grammar/spelling/etc. in public for no real reason (and not simply for sarcasm's sake on social media sites) annoy me. That's been true for a while, but the fact that I'm now working full-time as an editor/proofreader, it bugs me even more when people do it for no reason.

4) It annoys me that people type/write as if they are texting and blame all of their errors on the technology. I know that this seems in direct opposition to #3. But I don't correct people for it. And I fully realize that there are some people who have trouble with spelling and grammar and I'm fine with that. But if you're taking the time to write me a message, please send a message and not either a massage or a msg, and don't blame auto-correct for the fact that you didn't take the time to proofread.

5) I'm finding that I don't actually hate massages as much as I used to.

6) I fully expect that I will find myself in an altercation over someone else texting or talking in a movie theater within my lifetime. I used to ignore it. Then I moved on to glaring meaningfully. These days I actually ask the person/people to stop. I fear that sometime in the future that will not end well.

7) I'm always surprised when I have people ask me whether I drink alcohol or swear. I do both, I guess I just do them both gracefully enough that people don't notice.

8) I'm kind of terrified of losing my eyesight - and I hate the fact that the next time I get glasses I'll probably need bifocals. And it weirds me out that I may have something wonky with my retina that mainly only happens in dogs.

9) I'm also freaked out about the possibility of losing my hearing. Especially since many people know me for having "dog ears" and hearing everything.

10) Lately I've been having trouble finding the right words all the time. Sometimes I just keep going hoping that no one will notice. Sometimes I just look at Christopher and start hinting at the word hoping that he'll figure it out.

11) Some of the books I've been working on have me kind of freaked out about the climate changes we're seeing - even though the plots are improbable, reading the books has resulted in me pondering things I don't want to ponder.

12) I have survived for almost 14 months without a credit card. I have Christopher to thank for some of that survival.

13) I kind of hate not having a credit card, but I do enjoy not having credit card bills.

14) My dreams get wilder the closer we are to the full moon. I never used to pay attention to it, then I started noticing it. I usually have a night of really vivid dreams, then notice the next day that it's almost a full moon - not the other way around.

15) I don't make New Year's resolutions, because I figure the person I am on January 1st, is probably different than the person I'll be on December 31st, and I don't want to set my future self up for failure since that future self didn't have a say in the resolution in the first place.

16) #15 makes perfect sense in my brain.

No comments: