Friday, October 24, 2008

Raucous Friday Night... Or Something...

Maybe it's because the weather is turning cooler. Maybe it's because Christopher is out of town and he's usually my partner in crime. Maybe it's because I had lunch at about 3pm and so by the time 7 rolled around it seemed like it was 10.  Whatever the reason, I'm totally in the "it's time to hibernate" mood. 

On the other hand, since I'm not actually ready for bed, I turned on the TV with no hopes of finding anything all that exciting or worthy of devoting an hour of my time. And with the election less than two weeks away, it had to be something good enough to be worth sitting through all of the political ads.

I started the evening on CBS with Melinda and Jim on "Ghost Whisperer," which I have to admit that I really enjoy. I just usually forget that it's on, so I tape it and watch it sometime later on--which is why I had forgotten that it was on tonight. Jennifer Love Hewitt spent the hour chatting with ghosts while wearing gorgeous clothes. David Conrad looking stunning while being appropriately supportive. In the end it made me happy. 

The 8 o'clock hour put me into new territory, though. I had seen the stars of "Crusoe" on one of the morning shows, so I decided to try it. Turns out it's kind of a cool show for Fridays on NBC. The stars, while attractive enough, aren't total beefcake and are, thus, fairly believable. I didn't see the pilot movie, so I'm not sure how they introduced everything, but this episode was pretty fun. Kind of a TV-sized version of an "Indiana Jones" tale, but with more plot and less flash. Definitely worth trying again.

We're now halfway through the third hour of primetime and I'm watching "Starter Wife" on USA. It stars Debra Messing as a Hollywood ex-wife who is trying to scrabble her way back up to the top after being dumped by her jerk of a husband (at the very beginning of the miniseries, which was a precursor to the current series). She has a great supporting cast and the show is witty, smart and just enough off-kilter to keep the flow going throughout the episode. And, since it's on USA, you can catch multiple repeats throughout the week, or online if you ever forget when it's first-run.

So... let's see... with Christopher out of town, I've enjoyed some spirits, checked out some man-to-man action, and settled in for some good serial gossip. I almost feel a little guilty. Almost.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I am loving The Starter Wife this year--I like it so much better than the mini series which was all about her choosing a guy and got kind of old to me.

We tried Crusoe but did not make it very far into the pilot movie I must confess. Maybe I will try it again while working out...