Thursday, October 23, 2008

Yellow Flowers

Have you seen the movie "Enchanted"?

It's the mostly live-action Disney flick about a princess who comes out of the cartoon world and finds herself in New York. From there, she does all of the princess things while waiting for her Prince to save her. You know... She gets the local fauna (ie rats and pigeons and cockroaches) to help her with household chores. She makes a new dress out of two-dimensional curtain cut-outs. And she leads a huge spontaneous song-and-dance production number through Central Park. 

That scene in Central Park is what made me love the movie. It's the kind of scene which--much to Christopher's chagrin--is the kind of thing I would love to have happen in my life. I completely love the thought of a spontaneous musical production number happening in my life. And it could be big like the "Seventy-Six Trombones" moment in "Music Man" or small like watching the three couples head out into the streets of New York singing "On the Town" in... well... "On the Town."

** sidenote ** I apologize to all of my friends and family who are reading this and going "Yep. That's Robert. Tell us something new." And I will--just give me a moment. ** end sidenote **

So... Heading back in the general direction of my point...

The great big Central Park production number in "Enchanted" comes about when the Princess (played by Amy Adams) begins singing a song called "That's How You Know." She starts singing along with a steel drum band, adds in some flirtatious octogenarians and ends with a slough of bridal couples. (Her host in NYC--played by Patrick Dempsey--voices the audience's concern for reality, asking passers-by if they've ever heard the song before, since it seems brand new to him. Ah, yes... The ever popular "How does everyone know all of the steps in an impromptu dance?" question.) I challenge anyone to see the movie and not be happy by the end of the song.

Of course, about now you're asking what the heck this has to do with anything, least of all the title of this post. It's simple. The song asks how you know someone loves you. One of the ways that is suggested is: Does he bring you yellow flowers when the sky is grey?

I don't know if you remember reading what I said a few days ago about the house being full of flowers, but there is a vase filled with yellow roses in the bedroom, which Christopher brought home last Friday night. In Minneapolis this has been a really cloudy week. Today the weather felt more like early winter than late fall. But every morning when I wake up the flowers are there--bright and yellow and all sorts of cheerful. And... well... You get the idea. 

(All together now... "Awww...")

3 comments:

Laura said...

That's adorable. I loved that movie. On a tv note, how weird that Amy Adams is the b*tchy cousin of Tara from Buffy--the episode where her family comes to try to take her back home? Are you a Buffy fan? You should be. Anyway, it took me at least 15 minutes into the movie to adjust to her in the role, which probably tells you how many times I have watched almost every single episode of Buffy....

Robert said...

Funny! I didn't realize that. I've watched most of Buffy, but not repeatedly.
If you pay attention Amy Adams pops up in a bunch of random places. She was wonderful in "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day." She was on "Charmed" as the "unluckiest girl in the city" or something like that. But I think she absolutely nailed the Princess role in "Enchanted."

Unknown said...

Awww...

And you're so right about "That's How You Know." I switched the play mode to repeat when I got to that song on your CD. :-)