Friday, March 27, 2009

Comfort Food

Let me start by filling in a few weather blanks: Minneapolis has been about 15 degrees below average for our highs for the past few days -- about 48 hours below 32 degrees -- and we've had snow flurries off and on. Granted, March is frequently the snowiest of the year around here, but usually it's also warm enough that the snow goes away in a day or so, while our flurries have just been sitting on the grass and looking sad. 

At the same time, before I continue whining, I'm very glad that we don't live in the Fargo (ND)/Moorhead (MN) area. I know people up there, and I have been sending as many positive vibes their direction as possible. The flooding -- and potential flooding -- up there is massive this year. I mean... the river could crest at 43 feet above flood stage. That's about the height of a 3- or 4-story building. That's a lot of water. 

But, back to me and my self-absorbed weather complaints...

On the one hand, I'm really frustrated by the cold. I made it through most of the winter wearing t-shirts and jeans in the house. But the past few days I've been in sweaters and wrapping myself in afghans. I think my body has given up on trying to keep me warm. About the only times I'm really warm are when I'm in bed or in the shower.

On the other hand, though, the extra cold weather has allowed for some extra comfort food meals. Last weekend, Christopher made a batch of tortellini soup which was really amazing and I got to eat the leftovers earlier this week without feeling at all guilty about it. Tonight we baked a ham, and I've already started planning what to do with the leftovers. Mmmm... Comfort food...

Yes. I know that the summer shorts season will be coming right on its regular schedule and I'll be sorry that I didn't switch over to salads and fruit sooner. Yes. I know that comfort food isn't always that good for my body. But... Wow... During a stretch of weather like we've been having, it sure is good for the soul.

No comments: