Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Twice-A-Year Evening

Christopher and I live in a house which has a kind of odd orientation on the streets. Most of Minneapolis is platted out on a 90-degree-angle grid, with streets either running North-South or East-West. Well, where we are there are enough lakes that the streets kind of had to be adjusted for that. Resulting in (about half a block away) two "parallel" streets running into each other, and blocks kind of being catty-wampus.

Of course, geography is not the point of this posting. The point is that twice each year the sun sets directly down the street that kind of goes off from the front of the house. It's really cool. I mean... You look out the front door, and down the walk you see the street with the sun on it.

It happens once in the spring, as the sun is moving north, and once in the fall as the sun moves south. What's funny, though, is that it's really hard to pinpoint when it happens. I thought it was happening last week, but the sun only crossed the street, and still set to the north of it.

I think tonight was the night, though. Or at least it seemed to be. But when I got done taking pictures (my favorite of which is displayed, below), the sun still moved a little to the north. So maybe tomorrow is the right night. Either way, I think it's cool and I thought I'd share.


Of course, now I just can't wait until late March/early April when it goes back across the street the other way...