Friday, March 25, 2011

Dressed To Impress...?

I know I don't say a lot of positive things about my work. One thing I do enjoy, however, is the fact that the office is casual. Well... I don't love that the work atmosphere is so completely casual, but I do like that the attire is casual.

That means that, in the summer, I get to wear shorts. Throughout the year, people show up in t-shirts and jeans. And I've even worn a hooded sweatshirt to work a few times. Of course, this poses a bit of a problem if you decide to dress up.

Let's take today, for instance.

I got in to work early, because I needed to take a long break around lunchtime to go to a funeral. And, yes, I was in a white shirt, black tie, and grey sportcoat. (I had pants and shoes and stuff on, too - don't worry.)

The first person I saw in the office was someone who knew why I was coming in dressed up. She looked at me and said "Oooo... ohhhh" and her face went from "Wow, you're dressed up" to "Oh. Sorry you're dressed up" all in that time. (Later she complimented me, saying that I looked like I should have been in "Reservoir Dogs" - except that I needed a gun.)

The next few people gave me the "Wow, you look good, what's the occasion?" question, and I thanked each of them, then explained the situation. This, of course, led to back-pedalling and apologies. They really didn't need to apologize - I like being told I look nice - but I appreciated it, even so.

Finally, someone came walking up who hadn't noticed my clothing, earlier. He stopped about 6 feet from my desk, scrunched up his face, and then said "You look like you're going to a funeral." I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I simply said "I am." (Let the back-pedalling commence.)

I can't wait until the next time I go in dressed up and someone asks if I've got a job interview. Please let that happen soon. (Oh. Sorry. I was supposed to be saying positive things about my job, wasn't I...?)

No comments: