Thursday, March 3, 2011

That Whole "Fiscally Responsible" Thing


Lately I've started back down the road to financial solvency, fiscal responsibility, and frank talks about money and savings and all that stuff.

It's kind of strange for me to have to pay so much attention to it. You see I've always been a "grown-up" in my life. While other people were partying through their teens and twenties (and thirties and...), I was usually the responsible one who was acting as designated driver. Okay, yes, Christopher has always insisted that there's a five-year-old in me trying to get out, but for the most part I'm the grown-up.

Which makes the fact that my finances have always been slightly out of whack that much harder for me to admit to. So I've watched my spending, and tried to keep things in line. But I've worked in the Non-Profit Arts, and I was unemployed for over a year (followed by more time of underemployment), and my savings went away and my credit card bills went up, and I've had to start re-analyzing my money.

So, at Christopher's recommendation, I started meeting with a Financial Advisor a few months ago. I was worried that it was going to be like going to the dentist and being nagged for not flossing - or going to the doctor and being reminded that you shouldn't eat carbs - but the advisor Christopher recommended is really cool. She's about my age (probably closer to Christopher's), and didn't even flinch when I told her I didn't have any idea the answers to some of her questions. She just kind of nodded and chatted, and said she could work with what I had.

And, just three months into the new year, I'm already starting to see a difference. It has felt a bit like going on a diet. Not a starvation diet, but just a trim-down diet. For instance, I talked myself out of buying Easter candy at the grocery store today, but I still bought flowers (seen above). But I figure that's better than going into therapy for my winter blues, so it works out in my favor.

I've started watching more closely the times that I take my wallet out, and for what. I've already gotten pretty good at not spending money (unemployment followed by low pay will do that to a person), but now I've started trying to spend my money in a more conscientious way. I'm looking at a monthly budget, and thinking of what I'm spending and what each purchase means to my bottom line.

And, you know what? It's kind of strangely exciting. (Oh, and if you live in the Twin Cities and want to know who my advisor is, let me know.)

1 comment:

Robin said...

Sounds absolutely fabulous! Congratulations! And thank you Christopher for finding a good one for you.