Wednesday, March 9, 2011

In a Flash

Did you know that there is a version of migraine headache which doesn't actually include the headache part? Actually, there are a few different versions, and they cause havoc with things like your sense of smell and your sense of sight. (Isn't the brain just wacky?)

How do I know this? Because I get those last two versions from time to time.

The smell one is a little annoying, but not awful. I mean, just because something doesn't smell quite right doesn't mean that it will throw off your day.

But the one where your sight gets messed up. That one's not fun. And it tends to show up at all the worst times. Like when you're driving down the road and suddenly you've got flashing patterns in your eyesight - frequently just where the rearview mirror should be.

Or, like earlier today, when I was trying to do some proofreading at work and couldn't see sections of my screen through the wordless marquis lights. At least, in that case, I wasn't on the road.

I'm lucky, though, because these don't involve the actual painful headache problems, and - at least so far - they're usually pretty short-lived.

I just wish they'd be gone in a flash.

2 comments:

Mother said...

Did I tell you that I get the same aura flashing lights? And so does Laura?

Robin said...

Me too - and they started when I was as couple years younger than you are now. Scary when you're driving, though.