Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tiz List #10 - Travel-ish

Alright, it's been about a month since the last Tiz List (check the left-hand column for older posts and an explanation of the name), so since it's Travel Tuesday, here is a quick list of some of the travel-related things I've come across, lately.

1) While in traffic the other day, I saw an older gentleman in the car behind me. He was smoking a pipe, and wearing an eye patch.

2) I think he might have been a retired pirate.

3) There is something kind of quaint about seeing people on streetcorners asking people to sign petitions and such - so much more polite than telemarketing.

4) I would probably not stop for the on-street solicitation any more than I would pick up the telemarketer's phonecall.

5) Part of my morning commute goes along a stretch of I-35W which has a "MnPass" lane - one of those HOV lanes which allows you to pay to get to drive in it to avoid traffic.

6) I have one of the MnPass accounts, but they are not active during the MN State Government shutdown.

7) I'm not sure why an automated - and revenue-producing - system isn't active during the shutdown.

8) It really bugs me to watch people cruise in those lanes without having 2 or more people in the car when you know that the lanes are supposed to be "off-limits," since I'm having to leave 5 or 10 minutes earlier every day to make that commute in the "normal" traffic.

9) It bugs me even more when I'm paying to use the lane and other people show up in it without the passes.

10) I saw a guy on a motorcycle this weekend who was wearing no helmet, a tank top, shorts, and flip-flops.

11) I think that motorcyclists who don't wear helmets and full body covering while on the roads are idiots.

12) I really hope that I don't have to help cover any medical bills for non-protective-gear-wearing motorcyclists who have accidents.

13) I realize that drivers of cars need to pay more attention to the world around them and look for cyclists (motorized or not), but I also think that cyclists (motorized or not) should have to take responsibility to dress appropriately.

14) The dude over the weekend in the tank top and shorts was someone who should never leave the house in a tank top and shorts.

15) Ever.

16) When our house was painted last week (well... sorta last week, sorta two weeks ago, sorta this weekend...), they painted our garage door to match the house. It looks great, but it's still weird to see when I'm driving up.

17) One of my friends came over last weekend and almost drove past our house because it was "the wrong color."

18) Do you suppose we could alter the color of our house on Google maps to match the new color?

19) When friends of mine bought a house in Idaho they were told by people that they can never paint it because it's pink and people use it as a landmark.

20) It was really pink.

21) No. Even pinker than what you were just thinking.

22) They left it that way for a while.

23) They gave up and eventually painted it - dusty rose.

24) I'm sure people still use it as a landmark, but now they probably call it "the house that used to be pink."

25) Why do people think that directions like that will help someone who has never been there, before?

26) I actually know what it means to "turn north at the section line."

27) I also know how to "turn west at the shelter belt."

28) I was probably 10 years old before I realized that not everyone gives directions based on compass points and landmarks.

29) I still give directions based on compass points and landmarks, but I appease people by throwing in "lefts" and "rights" from time-to-time to see if they're paying attention.

30) I think people do the same thing in politics.

No comments: