Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Travel Tuesday - The Lunchbreak Version

I've been daydreaming - more than usual - of time off from work, this week. This is made to seem especially bad by the fact that this is only Tuesday.

In fact, early in the day, yesterday, I started having lyrics from the song "Where You Are" from the musical "Kiss of the Spider Woman" going through my head. It's one of those shows that I saw a very long time ago, but the songs sometimes pop into my head.

(Oh, who am I kidding? Set something to music and it will stick in my brain forever - it just needs the right trigger to be released. Christopher deals with it all the time - I suspect that might be some of the "for worse" in his opinion...)

Anyway... There's a lyric in that song which goes:

You've got to learn how not to be
Where you are

It goes on to some not-so-savory things (after all, the show takes place in a prison), but that idea of needing to learn how to imagine yourself somewhere that you're not has been with me all week.

So, periodically during the past two days I've been humming that to myself. And, while walking the dog, it might not have been entirely to myself. And it might have been singing more than humming. But that's a whole different thing.

Anyway... (yes, again)... Today at lunch I got to meet up with a friend from college. She works just a few blocks from where I work, and we've been trying to get together for a while. And, this afternoon, we succeeded.

It was just an hour away from the office. At a restaurant I've eaten at before. But it was just so very *not* my usual lunchtime, that it was amazing. We talked. We laughed. We ate (after all, it was lunch). And we vowed to get together again soon because it was too much fun to not try to repeat it.

Sometimes it's amazing how easy it can be to be somewhere other than where you are.

No comments: