Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fog

One of the things that Christopher and I both talk about liking during this frigid time of year is the amazing clear skies that come along with the bone-chilling temperatures.

January in Minnesota is known for being snowy, cold, and blindingly bright.

This year, though, with the weirdly warm weather, and almost no snow, we've also landed ourselves in (so far) two days of massive dense fog.

The kind of fog that makes it hard to see the tops of the buildings in downtown Minneapolis from my building in the warehouse district.

The kind of fog that, overnight, can freeze on roads and make the morning commute SUCK.

The kind of fog that makes the world kind of murky - even at high noon - and turns twilight into some kind of strange dank misty blech. (And, yes, with the perpetual twilight I do, in fact, find myself humming strains from "A Little Night Music.")

I fully admit that it's been nice to be able to walk the pup without having to be in major winter gear every day. She doesn't have to wear her coat, and I don't have to wear my hat. It's nice.

But I'd really prefer putting her coat on and bundling up if it meant that I could actually see the sun a little. Heck. I'd even take a few cold snowy days in exchange for some days of chilly sunshine to re-energize my solar-powered batteries a little.

As it is, I just keep finding myself ending up in... well... a fog.

No comments: