Saturday, February 11, 2012

Perspective on Productivity

Most Saturdays, I'd be really excited to go to the grocery store, run multiple other errands, bake some cookies (and clean up the kitchen), watch a movie from Netflix, walk the dog (twice) and try to comb out some of her tangles, and even get some correspondence done. All before 7pm.

Today, however, even though that's actually more than what was on my to-do list, I feel like I've kind of wasted the day.

You see, I've been up for about 5 hours longer than usual. Yep. I got up at about 4am so that I could take Christopher to the airport, and just didn't feel right going back to bed when I got home (after stopping at the grocery store). So I watched some TV and stalked his flight online to make sure it took off and landed on time.

He actually called after he'd gotten settled in, and I thought that - since I'd heard from him - I'd run the extra errands and then come home and nap. But the cold weather woke me up, so I just came in and watched that movie and hung out with the pup.

This evening, I did the baking and the correspondence. And it's not even 8pm.

The worst part of this, of course, is that you can pretty well bet that I'll get a second wind at about 9 and then be up until midnight. And, no, I don't plan to do any more of this weekend's to-dos before I go to bed. I figure that, by tomorrow, my perspective will be mostly back in line with today's productivity. And I don't want to set my expectations for tomorrow too high.

No comments: