Sunday, February 19, 2012

Missing Days Off

A bunch of people have been asking me whether or not I get tomorrow off for Presidents' Day. I don't.

In fact, after New Year's Day, the next holiday we get is Memorial Day. So, no MLK day. Nothing around Easter. Nothing for, basically, the first five months of the year.

And I have to admit that that's probably one of the biggest issues of my current position. My day-to-day work is fine. The pay is... well... at least it's better than it was a few months ago.

The part that really is bothersome, though, is the lack of time off. The maximum vacation you can earn at my company is 10 days per year.

I've dealt with being unemployed - not that long ago - and I know that I don't want *that* much time off again any time soon. But as someone who tends to work to pay for the rest of my life, it's kind of frustrating to not have any time to take off so that I can use that money for something fun.

We're trying to figure out how to spend our time off this year, and that means kind of parsing out the days. Which brings me back to wishing we had some holidays to work off of, so we'd be able to do more.

So, if you're off on Presidents' Day, I hope you enjoy it. Think of me as I'm at work and not on vacation.

No comments: