Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday Food: In a Pickle

Lunch, today, was a basic club sandwich ordered in from Jimmy John's. I had no intention of ordering in, but I was running late this morning while getting ready for work, and then... well... the weather decided to turn frigid overnight, so I didn't really want to go out.

Plus, there's the fact that ordering in from Jimmy John's - even with a tip for the delivery guy - is usually less expensive than going to any of the cafes/delis/restaurants in the area for lunch.

Even so, I always feel a little odd ordering in.

I used to kind of laugh at the people who always bought lunch instead of bringing it in. I marveled at how they had enough money to do it. If I hadn't packed lunch I'd walk to the market a couple of blocks away and get myself something. Or, once, I actually got a sandwich from the vending machine in the building so that I could save some cash.

Today, though, I was just in one of those strange situations that kind of made it hard to do any of my usual things. I didn't have time to make lunch at home. The market is closed - possibly under foreclosure. And the vending machine... well... I don't like to play that kind of Russian roulette more often than I need to. Which is why I went online and ordered my "Club Lulu" from Jimmy John's.

And, because I didn't want to have to deal with the delivery guy having to give me change - but didn't want to give an almost $4 tip on a $6 sandwich, I ordered a pickle to go with it. (Did you know that you can get their pickles delivered whole, halved, or quartered? Who thinks of these things?)

It showed up fast (though possibly not as "freaky-fast" as in the ads), and was quite tasty. Plus I never had to leave the office and go outside into the nasty cold winter weather that is apparently waiting outside.

Gotta admit, that makes being in a pickle much easier.

No comments: