Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy-ish New Year

I know I'm not alone in the fact that the changing of the years is sometimes as much about looking back -- or off to the sides -- as it is about looking forward.

I've been doing that a lot over the past 72 hours or so. I found myself reflecting by myself while we were in the middle of our festivities on New Year's Eve. And that has continued for the whole weekend. Lots of looking at what has gone on in the past year (or years), and thinking of the people in my life whom I don't see often enough.

I guess, if I were going to commit to a resolution (and I'm not saying I am), I want to spend more time getting in touch with people in the coming year. And, yes, I consider myself to be one of the people in that.

I think we probably all get to a point from time to time where we feel like we're not paying enough attention to ourselves. Otherwise we wouldn't have multiple Sunday nights where we have a kind of dread about getting up to go to work on Monday morning, or hating the clothes we have in the closet.

So here's to a happy new year. One where keeping in touch becomes part of the routine, and not just part of the patter.

No comments: