Thursday, January 14, 2010

Navel Gazing

Today is the third day this week where I thought to myself, while driving to work, "Well, at least it's Thursday." Thankfully, today I was right.

Today, however, is also the first full day that I'm home alone while Christopher is off to London with a friend of ours. They're over there for an extended weekend, and although I'm really excited for them, I'm also a little distracted by it.

Of course, one moment's distraction is another moment's possibly inappropriately tight focus. This in mind, I find myself pondering some imponderables tonight...

1) Why does snow, when driven on enough, become the texture of sand?

2) How, if a bottle of wine (at least 4 glasses) costs about $12, can a restaurant sell each glass for $7?

3) If the airlines want us to stop bringing carry-ons, why do they keep charging us more for checked bags? Are we supposed to all travel in only one set of clothes for an entire vacation or something?

4) Why, when people call me on the phone (at my work) and ask for someone by first name -- and I have to ask for more information -- do they feel the need to get snarky about it? Worse than that are the people who get audibly offended when I ask for their own names. And worst -- the people who speed over their names, and then get upset that I have to ask for them to repeat what they've said. Why can't they all just figure I'm trying to help them?

5) Why is dryer lint almost always grey? I mean... I have very little grey clothing, but my dryer lint is almost always grey. Why?

And, finally, with the title of the post in mind...

6) Why does navel lint seem to be bluish-grey almost all of the time? Or... wait... is that just me?

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Ok. Apparently, I cannot leave you alone for the weekend without you going completely crazy. Do I need to worry about you?