Thursday, January 21, 2010

INSIDE VOICES, PLEASE!!

Let me start by saying that, to the best of my knowledge, no one at my work reads my blog. If they do, well, they're about to find out what I was thinking all day today.

You see, my boss was gone today (and will be gone tomorrow, as well). In response to that, many of my coworkers were a lot less... well... structured than usual with their days. When the day started, people were walking all around our mostly-open-space office and chatting about pretty much everything possible. Now, I'm perfectly fine with socializing in the office, but for some reason everyone was chatting REALLY LOUDLY.

Gradually, everyone settled in and started working by around 10am. And then there was a prospective client in for part of the morning, so the loudest of the loud talkers was in the conference room, talking and laughing and flirting her way through another sales pitch. That was better (after all, there was a closed door involved), but still the sudden bursts of laughter were a bit jolting.

The early afternoon was mostly quiet, and then, around 4 (we all leave at 5), all sorts of chaos started up again. Everyone was talking back and forth across the room, playing some random games having to deal with subjects that made them all sound a whole lot like junior high.

Now, as I've said, I'm all for having a friendly fun time at work. But... well... during all of the messing around that was happening, my work inbox was filling faster than I could empty it. And, when you're used to working in a mostly-quiet office, trying to focus on minute details with yelling and giggling happening around you is pretty darned close to impossible.

So I left work today without getting nearly as much done as I'd wanted. And dreading what the office environment is going to be like tomorrow.

Here's hoping there are a few cases of 24-hr (or at least 8-hr) laryngitis tomorrow...

1 comment:

Najla said...

I hear you on that one. It's hard when someone (or someones) are in a "all play and no work" mood when you have stuff to get done.